By Paul Thompson – Payroll Support Team Manager
So it’s that time of the year again…the time when we all panic because we haven’t started our Christmas shopping and also the time when we frantically prepare for Payroll Year End. You’d think that we’d all be well used to these yearly occurrences but for some reason they always seem to creep up.
For the last three and a half years I have been managing the Sage 50 Support Team but recently I took over the management of the Sage Payroll Support Team, so this is technically my first PYE as manager of the team. Having worked in Sage for the last six years I am well used to what PYE brings but this year I will be looking at it from a completely different perspective. I can’t wait for the challenge.
Sage has been working hard behind the scenes to ensure that this PYE is the best yet and to make sure that the whole process is as good as we can possibly make it for our customers.
What should you do to ensure that PYE 12 runs smoothly?
1. Do your homework – Understand your obligations as an employer. Most employers will need to submit a P35 return online to Revenue, and provide employees with P60s.
2. Important dates:
– Your Payroll Software Budge Update will be available through Auto Update and www.mysage.ie – Mid-December 2012
– P35 Returns via ROS – 23rd February 2013
– P60s to employees – 15th February 2013
4. Knowing who you should contact – Some queries can only be answered by the Revenue. To get a list common Revenue queries and common Sage queries go to www.sage.ie/pye2012.
5. If in doubt, get expert help – Payroll rules can be complex, and your circumstances are unique. If you are unsure then you should contact Sage, your professional advisor or the Revenue.
What work has Sage being doing in preparation for PYE 2012?
- Introduction of a new Web Chat service available through My Sage (Essential Cover Plus and Essential Cover Expert customers only).
- PYE Updates – The Sage Payroll Research and Development team has recently released the PYE Updates for Micropay and Quickpay. These are available through your payroll software’s Auto Update feature, or on www.mysage.ie.
- Budget Update – With the Budget finally being announced on the 5th December 2012 by the Minister for Finance, the Research and Development team have got straight to work on developing the update for our customers – this will be available in Mid-December so watch this space.
- My Sage – Your Online Support Services on www.mysage.ie has just gotten better. The site offers much more than just the PYE12 Update. The Support Team have updated all your technical support information including Frequently Asked Questions, How to Guides and Video Tutorials.
- Staff training – Our Training Team have been working tirelessly making sure that our team are ready to help our customers with any Sage Micropay or Quickpay PYE related query.
- Hiring of new PYE Support Technicians – I am delighted to say that we have recruited a number of additional resources to answer your queries and assist you during PYE. These people have been with Sage for quite a while now and are ready to take your calls, emails and web chats.
- Communications – The Marketing Team in Sage have designed and created a number of different letters and emails which will help to keep you informed and up to date during PYE.
And much, much more.